Practising from purpose-built surgery premises we aim to offer healthcare services for all the family. Many conditions, including minor surgical operations, can be treated within the centre. Please ring the surgery for details of the services offered below. (Note: some services are not available at Longsands Medical Centre and Sharoe Green Surgery due to premises constraints; however, arrangements can be made for you to receive treatment or attend clinics at The Healthcare Centre as appropriate.)
Help Yourself To Health
Six ways you can really help yourself to live a healthier lifestyle.
- Be a non-smoker
- Maintain a reasonable weight
- Take regular exercise
- Eat a high fibre, low fat diet
- Take alcohol only in moderation
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun
Heart Disease Prevention Clinic
Aimed at reducing the incidence of heart disease and strokes, our practice nurses and health visitors provide comprehensive health checks for patients and to all those at increased risk. Topics covered include smoking cessation, healthy eating, alcohol consumption, blood pressure checks, exercise advice and cholesterol screening.
- Run by a fully trained nurse for adults and children
- Full education programme
- Peak flow monitoring
- Inhaler technique
- New medications
- Self-management plan
- Run by practice nurse
- Full education programme
- Blood sugar measurement and urine test
- Advice on diet
- Eye examination
- Foot care
- Blood pressure management
- Self-monitoring and management plan
Child Health And Immunisation Clinic
The health visitors, practice nurses and doctors run these clinics with a special interest in the development of pre-school children. The clinics all held at The Healthcare Centre provide an opportunity for developmental checks, immunisations and informal discussions about the minor childhood problems which are so common at this age.
Important: Please ring for an appointment for all baby checks and immunisations.
- Removal or treatment of ingrowing toenails
- Removal of warts, lumps and bumps and joint injections
- Run by doctor and practice nurse using latest techniques of excision, electrocautery and cryotherapy
- Appointments made through your doctor
Foreign travel advice is available, all year round, for patients travelling outside the UK on holiday or business.
We offer a full range of advice and immunisation against all of the major diseases likely to be encountered by travellers.
We are, in addition, a registered Yellow Fever vaccination centre and are able to offer advice and immunisation for patients who are not registered with the practice.
There is a charge made for this vaccination. Please enquire at reception for current fees.
All advice and many of the vaccines we stock are available free of charge.
All adults should ensure they have had a tetanus and polio booster. If in doubt please check with the nurse. Influenza and Pneumonia vaccinations are available each Autumn for the elderly and those with heart or chest conditions or who are otherwise medically at risk.
It is very important for all women between 25 and 64 to have a cervical smear test every three years. There are many early stages of cervical cancer and if picked up early this is totally curable by simple treatment. The nurse or doctor of your choice carries out this painless check during a routine appointment.
- Advice from any doctor or practice nurse
- Oral contraception, injection, coil fitting and implant available
- Emergency contraception if necessary
- Opportunity to discuss all aspects of sexual health
- Run by district midwife after booking with doctor
- To monitor your health through pregnancy
- To monitor the development of your unborn baby
- Appointments from reception
INR (Warfarin) Monitoring
- On site blood testing (finger prick) with immediate results
- Warfarin dosage calculation
- Dose adjustment and prescription
These will include, for example, vehicle licence medicals, insurance medicals etc. Please arrange a convenient time with the receptionist who can also advise you of the fee involved.